Friday, February 09, 2007

Living Vicariously

My friend S. is in Kenya right now. Her descriptions are inspiring and I am envious of her joy and contentment, sought so hard by so many, and found within days of arriving in Nairobi. They haven't left on Safari yet, and have already seen elephants, giraffes, and zebras. Her girls are having the time of their life, snuggled in the grass with their mom, watching the biggest animals in the world in their native environment. I checked out the hotel, The Whistling Thorns, and it looks pretty good. My friend K. and I can get a room with two single beds in it, a private bathroom and patio, for $22 each ($44 for the room). The rooms overlook the Ngong Hills in Kenya, and you can go for walks near the hotel and see Masai herders with their cattle, and my friend saw the zebras there, mixing in with the cows.


She wrote about the time difference and the challenges in adjusting quickly to it. I expect I'll have the same trouble...I'll likely need pharmecutical help to sleep...


It's warming to think of Africa as the temp locally drops to below -30 Celsius.[contented] sigh....

twiga = giraffe

ndovu/tembo = elephant

punda milia = zebra

No comments: